Friday, April 6, 2012

Triple Berry Jam and "Friends"

              Its getting to be springtime around here and the grocery stores are getting a bunch of pretty produce especially fruit. They had a great sale of berries so i picked up a bunch and decieded to make jam. 
              Last year, I made blackberry jam but this year i decided trible berry was the way to go.
         While making jam, I couldn't help but be reminded of the friends episode called "The One with the Jam" . I love friends. I have seen every episode probably 100 times!! So i leave you today with a recipe and some quotes. ENJOY!
Monica: I'm going into business, people. I needed a plan. A plan to get over my man ... and what's the opposite of man? Jam! 
Joey: Remember when your mom would send you to the movies with a jar of jam and a spoon?
Rachel: (Pats Joey on the head) You're so pretty.
Chandler: Okay Joe, I gotta ask. The hot girl from the xerox place buck naked (He gestures with his one hand), or a big tub of jam (He gestures with his other hand)?
Joey: Put your hands together.
Monica: Hey, look at me! I'm making jam... been at it since 4 O'clock this morning.
Ross: Where'd you get fruit at four in the morning?
Monica: Went down to the docks. Hey, betcha didn't know you can get it wholesale.
Rachel: I didn't know there were docks.

(Source) 


Triple Berry Jam Recipe- Waterbath Canning Method

Ingredients
  • 4 C crushed berries- Strawberries, blueberries,blackberries, and or raspberries
  • 4 1/2 TBSP classic pectin
  • 2 1/2 - 3 C sugar ( depending on your sweetness level)
  • 1/2 TBSP butter (prevents foam- optional)
  • 6 half pint jelly jars with lids and rings
Directions:
  1. Wash then Remove any stems or hulls off of fruit then crush fruit
  2. combine berries in heavy duty pot gradually stir in pectin and butter (optional)
  3. bring to a full roiling boil that can't be stirred down, stirring constantly
  4. add sugar. I  add 2/12c then taste if not sweet enough then I add more if needed
  5. stir to dissolve 
  6. return to full boils stirring constantly
  7. boil hard for 1 min 
  8. remove from heat skim foam if needed
  9. ladle into jars, remove any air bubbles, place lids on jars and put on rings making sure not to over tighten the rings
  10. process for 10 mins in water bath turn off heat let stand in water for 5 mins then remove. 
  11. allow to sit for 24 hrs then test for seal. do move or turn upside down during this time. 
  12. follow all canning  guidelines
When it comes to canning, I purchased the Ball complete book of home preserving. It is a wonderful book. I recommend it to anyone who is the slightest bit interested in canning. (Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving)  The book includes comprehensive directions on safe canning and preserving methods plus lists of required equipment and utensils. Specific instructions for first-timers and handy tips for the experienced make this a wonderful addition to any kitchen. 
 (Printable Recipe)

I used a 32oz container of strawberries and remove the hulls and chopped them.
Sorry I forgot to take a picture of my blueberries and blackberries I used.
Strawberries, Blackberries and Blueberries Crushed making 4 cups.

This beutiful berry mix coming to a boil.
Finished jam so yummy!

1 comment:

  1. For this triple berry jam when is says 4 cups crushed berries is that 4 cups of each berry or 4 cups combined. thanks

    ReplyDelete